From Sarah, With Joy

*Poet * Author * Wanderluster*

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Top Ten Songs for Writers

Ok, so these songs aren't only for writers, I mostly just think they're awesome. However, I do think music can be one of the greatest sources of inspiration, and these ones in particular have incredible lyrics, or emotional honesty, or tell a great story, something I think writers can learn from.

So in no particular order:
1-No Children, The Mountain Goats
2-I Think It's Going to Rain Today/God Give Me Strength, Audra McDonald (One video for 2 songs. Cool, eh?)
3-The I Love You Song, from The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
4-Lullabye (Goodnight My Angel)/And So It Goes/Scenes from an Italian Restaurant, Billy Joel
5-The Lonely, Christina Perri
6-I And Love And You, The Avett brothers
7-Space Oddity, David Bowie
8-Pretty Women, Brian Stokes Mitchell
9-Lonely Anywhere, The Everybodyfields
10-This Night, Black Lab
11-Wheels of a Dream, Ragtime the Musical (ignore the video, its the only one good audio I could find of the song)

Ok, ok, so that's more then ten, but it was hard enough narrowing it down this far. I linked to videos of each song (I really tried for number 8 but couldn't find anything--its still worth looking up) in case you're interested. I tried to list songs you might be unfamiliar with (ok, so Billy Joel and Christina Perri aren't exactly unknowns) and I hope you aren't too against a little Broadway. Here is the video for number 10, a particularly good video and a recent find I'm kind of obsessed with right now.



Now its your turn. What are the songs you think everyone should know about but don't? You don't have to give a list of ten if you don't want to, but I really want some good recommendations here.

Left a nice long list of songs in the comments? Good, now stop procrastinating and get back to work. Your novel isn't going to write itself, you know.

Sarah Allen

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMM- Its a beautiful day by U2
    What a wonderful World by Louis Armstrong
    Feeling Good by Nina Simone
    True Colours by Cyndi Lauper
    Walking on Sunshine - Christina and the Waves
    Clare De Lune by Debussy
    Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings

    To name a few... Love music. XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Is this a case of great minds thinking alike or is this the beginnings of your own playlist? Isn't music so much fun to use when writing? Have a Happy Writing Day Chica!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you read my mind because yesterday I had a post asking people what they're listening to these days because I'm looking for some new music! This list will be great. Hmm, something to listen to that everyone should know about...I think everyone should listen to India Arie. She is very inspiring and I'm not sure how popular she is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Enigma, Beehtoven, and Isreali music to write to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In This Life--Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
    and
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow--Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

    I just love those two songs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great choices Sarah! Mine would be, in no particular order...
    1. I See You, Mika
    2. Main Man, T.Rex
    3. Yer Blues, The Beatles
    4. Whatever Happens, Michael Jackson
    5. When the Music's Over, The Doors
    6. I'm Afraid of American's, David Bowie
    7. Morphine, Michael Jackson
    8. La Vie En Rose, Edith Piaf
    9. What's Up, 4 Non Blondes

    10. God, John Lennon
    11. Black,Black Heart, David Usher
    12. Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing, Stevie Wonder
    Okay, that's an even dozen,of course there's piles more,sorry...Now I'll get back to work on my masterpiece! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "If you want to sing out, sing out," by Cat Stevens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is no way I can tie titles with artists--my brain has always been foggy that way. However, these are some I enjoy:
    Alla luce del sole/Josh Groban
    Nocturne with No Moon/movie "The legend of 1900"
    Were it Not for Grace/Larnelle Harris
    and
    Enchanted Glen/Phil Coulter

    These are the songs I love to hear when I am writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing! I've been in need of a playlist revamp but have been scarce on time to do some research. I will definitely check out some of these names !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I listen to Kenny Rogers, which I am told, quite often, disqualifies me from music suggestions :)

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Thank you so, so much for your thoughts and comments, they really do make my day. Consider yourself awesome. Also, I do my best to respond to every comment within 24 hours, so I invite you to come back and continue the conversation :)

To have weekly posts delivered to your inbox, just sign up here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...