From Sarah, With Joy

*Poet * Author * Wanderluster*

Monday, May 2, 2011

Best Marketing/Networking Sites for Writers


There are a lot of good websites out there. Tons that can help writers spread the word about their work. I've come up with a list of what I think are the most useful marketing and networking websites writers have at their disposal. But before I give you the list I want to say this: there are so many sites out there, and yes, it can be very intimidating, but the time, effort and strategy you put into it is completely up to you. My advice is to take it one site at a time, experiment, see what works, and don't let it get you too stressed. Really, all you need is five minutes here and there on a lot of these sites, but those five minutes can be very worth it. Its all up to you, so don't let this list intimidate you. My personal strategy is to focus my efforts on a few of the best ones, do a little on some others, and add a site at a time as I feel like I've got a handle on things. Do it your way and on your time, but I do think doing some is important, and can be very helpful.

A couple other disclaimers: First, I've said this before but I recommend all of these sites to be used along with a website or a blog that all these other sites point towards. That way you have a sort of home base. Second, I'm not by any means experienced or even familiar with many of these sites, so find which ones work best for you, and if you are someone who does have successful experience with any of these sites, I'd LOVE to hear about it and what has worked for you.

The Big Five:
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
YouTube
Flickr

Reference Sites (non-writer specific, but still could be useful):
Squidoo
StumbleUpon
Delicious
Digg
Reddit

Writer/reader communities:
GoodReads
LibraryThing
Authonomy
WriterFace
Shelfari
WritersBeat
BookTalk.org
RedRoom

Online portfolio sites, where you actually are supposed to contribute writing. (These are a great resource, but obviously take more work, and I'm trying to find a way to use them while saving the majority of my writing for other places. Ideas would be great).
DeviantART
Writing.com
AuthorsDen.com
WritersCafe.org
Fanstory.com
FanFiction.net
WritingForums.com
WritingForums.org
AbsoluteWrite
Scribd
EveryAuthor

Misc. Other community sites that may come in handy
SecondLife
Etsy or Ebay
Outbrain
Zynga

Well there you have it. Like I said, I'm not familiar with a lot of these, so be wise and safe, check them out and see what you think. If I'm missing any that have worked for you, or you have experience or advice with any of these sites, I seriously would love to hear it. I don't intend this list as something to stress you out. Your marketing campaign is in your hands, and this list is just to help you with that. Be strategic in your time and efforts and it will pay off.

Sarah Allen

11 comments:

  1. Cool list - thanks for sharing. There are a handful here that I haven't checked out. Will do that asap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of these I'd never heard of. Thanks for the lists.
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do promote my blog thru facebook with really good results. If you make a PAGE you can view how many times it was re-posted by people (even those not 'friends" or "fans' how many page views, etc. its a nifty little tool. i will have to check out some of the other sites, thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings!
    www.treasuredspotbookreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Jo. I get comfortable with a community site and then find seven others that are "must-do". lol! I'm even in Second Life (as MomGoth) but I never get a chance to be there. :/

    I awarded you a Stylish Blogger award! The rules and badge are here: http://www.marianallen.com/2011/05/writers-tools-asking-questions/

    MA

    ReplyDelete
  6. twitter comes in very useful for me, especially with being listed into a list of bloggers. Facebook can be useful every now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope these help! Sounds like you have some good ideas. Don't let it get too stressful, but let it help you.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list!!!
    Well, I wanted to know what do we do with the reference sites?? I really know nothing about it....

    ReplyDelete
  9. great blog i saw your videos on youtube nice
    could youhelp me improve mine
    or give me some advice how to make it popular and famous
    www.stepbystepintoenglish.blogspot.com
    i have two one for education and the second for travel
    www.tourismfez.blogspot.com
    i wanna make them famous but the first is my best one

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Thank you so, so much for your thoughts and comments, they really do make my day. Consider yourself awesome. Also, I do my best to respond to every comment within 24 hours, so I invite you to come back and continue the conversation :)

To have weekly posts delivered to your inbox, just sign up here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...