From Sarah, With Joy

*Poet * Author * Wanderluster*

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Today's Writing Tips Brought to You By Disney Songs

My Pandora has been set on Disney pretty constantly for the past couple weeks. I've needed it. Also talks by Dieter F. Utchdorf, but yeah. Disney music. There's an optimism and magic in these songs that makes me feel better.

So here are the writing lessons I've gotten in the past little while, listening to Disney music.

Endurance. Sometimes it just boils down to pure grit. We have to fall back on our moments of clarity when we knew what we were doing, and what we wanted, and just let that propel us forward. The important thing, though, is to not give up. Keep writing, keep blogging, keep submitting, because really, we're almost there.


Don't forget you have help. Both professionally and personally. Editors, agents, publishers, don't be afraid to use their help, and be grateful for it. And in your own life, there are people who truly love you and care about you. They want to help, and want you to be happy. Humans are not solitary creatures, and being with people who care can make things better very quickly. Without them, you wouldn't have nothin.

Don't be afraid of uncertainty and risk. This one is particularly hard for me. I like everything to be planned and settled, but that's been the opposite of what's actually happening in my life. But you know what, that's okay. Really it's an adventure, seeing what's around the riverbend.

There you have it. I was going to do more, because Disney has lots of good stuff. But I'll just leave it here for now. Because now you're going to have one of these stuck in your head for the rest of the day :)

"What I like most about rivers is, you can't step in the same river twice..."

What is your favorite Disney song, and why?

Sarah Allen

8 comments:

  1. Whistle While You Work. I can't say its my favorite but it always seems to pop into my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its an adorable post!:) And, yes, what works, works! It is inspiring in a very refreshing manner.
    All the best.You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beauty and the Beast is my favourite, but then it is a "tale as old as time " :)

    RJRdaydreamer

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT post!!!! I am a HUGE Disney fan!! I am usually nto able to listen to anything when i work, but a fellow author friend and Disney fan told me she listens to her Disney Parks CDs while writing. I have the cds too and it's mostly instrumental- ride music and the music they plan in each land, so I might just try it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love 'Colours of the Wind', and 'Beauty and the Beast'. I was actually taught to sing 'Beauty and the Beast' properly by my singing teacher, so I have a real soft spot for that song.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite disney songs? Wow. There are too many to list. I basically grew up watching Disney cartoons. But I find the following songs particularly memorable:

    Bare Necessities (The Jungle Book)
    Under The Sea (The Little Mermaid)
    A Whole New World (Aladdin)
    Hakuna Matata (The Lion King)
    Colors of the Wind (Pocahantas)
    He Lives in You (The Lion King II: Simba's Pride)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Missed out on all the more recent Disney movies, but the Pixar collaboration stuff is just awesome. Thanks for the Monsters, Inc. song :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you have a good Disney Pandora station, can you share it with me? :)

    Here's some of my favorites:
    Colors of the Wind (Pocahontas)
    I'll Make a Man Out of You (Mulan)
    Once Upon A December (Anastasia)
    Little Town (Beauty & the Beast)

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Thank you so, so much for your thoughts and comments, they really do make my day. Consider yourself awesome. Also, I do my best to respond to every comment within 24 hours, so I invite you to come back and continue the conversation :)

To have weekly posts delivered to your inbox, just sign up here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...