From Sarah, With Joy

*Poet * Author * Wanderluster*

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

How Do You Want To Be Remembered?


So I've been reading The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. I am totally hooked. I'm just never swept away in quite the same way as I am when I read a Victorian novel. And its fabulous to be discovering a new Bronte sister. I mean, I've known of Ann, of course, I just haven't gotten around to reading any of her stuff until now. And its wonderful. I thought she was going to be much more cerebral and much less emotional then her sisters. She is definitely more sensible, realistic, and wry, but the emotion is just as strong. She can be quite hilarious as well.

Here's what's gotten me thinking: Jane Eyre does hold a very special place in my heart, as does Villette. But why is Ann the sister who has been historically brushed aside when the other competition is Wuthering Heights? Why has history chosen to emphasize one and not the other? Especially when Emily only wrote the one, and its not as good anyway? This is of course my personal biased opinion, and I'm not trying to discredit or invalidate Wuthering Heights. It is a beautiful book and for certain readers packs quite a hefty emotional punch, which is why it has stuck around for so long. What I'm trying to say here, is that I wonder why Ann is the one who has been brushed aside when she's just as good a writer as Charlotte and (*ahem* better than *ahem*) Emily?

Bit of a rant, but really the broader question is this: how do we want to be remembered and how do we create that legacy for ourselves? I'm sure much of it we can't help, and is just up to chance and history. I mean, its not like Ann would have chosen to be Bronte the Lesser. I think all we can do is create the best work we can, work hard at everything else, and hope for the best.

Me? I want to be remembered as an author who tried to show that its not easy or naive, but honorable and okay to be happy. That there is truth and beauty. That good art leads to faith and faith is power. Faith in ourselves individually and collectively, but also faith in something larger than ourselves. Like truth and beauty.

How do you want to be remembered?

Sarah Allen

5 comments:

  1. Since I haven't read "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" I can't really give an opinion. But now you've piqued my interest. And how unfair that we've never heard of Ann! Having five sisters myself, I'm glad none of them are writers! It does seem as though a novel must have a tragic ending to be remembered. I can't bear to write a tragic ending. I'd like to be remembered as a novelist who wrote well about difficult issues and brought stories to a satisfying ending without tragic circumstances.

    Good post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought her name is spelled with an e - Anne? anyway, I did read The tenant of Wildfell Hall recently and also felt it's better if not more likeable than Wuthering Height which I have yet to finish reading. I like the perspective in The Tenant...but I actually like Anne's other novel, Agnes Grey, better.

    don't much think about how I want to be remember. I think it's not something I want to think dwell about. we cannot really make other people remember us the way we want anyway. it's not not up to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do I want to be remembered? With love. That will do :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. In high school I read Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre, but I was so disappointed that I never read anything by Anne. Agnes Grey is in my tbr pile.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Thank you so, so much for your thoughts and comments, they really do make my day. Consider yourself awesome. Also, I do my best to respond to every comment within 24 hours, so I invite you to come back and continue the conversation :)

To have weekly posts delivered to your inbox, just sign up here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...