From Sarah, With Joy

*Poet * Author * Wanderluster*

Monday, October 29, 2012

Bringing Your Frankenstory to Life

Sometimes I feel like I have the parts of a story, the head, the feet, the arms, but I don't feel like I have the pulse, the electric current that binds it all together.

That's how its going with novel number two. I pretty much have my main character, a thirteen year old girl who has been in my head a long time. That's how it typically starts for me, a person who won't leave me alone with a life and a situation that they want my help to understand. I know her situation, her family, where she's living. But I still haven't figured out the plot points and heart beat that moves the story forward.

Does this happen for anyone else? What do you do to solve the problem?

I have been watching a bit of Twilight Zone (great hurricane entertainment, let me tell you.) Like I said, it is the most incredibly conceptual show ever, and I am hoping some of that genius rubs off on me.

So yeah. How do you go about bringing your monster to life?

Sarah Allen

7 comments:

  1. The Twilight Zone is fantastic and incredibly creepy, even after all of these years :D

    I usually get over it by developing my character so much and becoming so close to that character that I'm almost sick of them. For some reason, plot points seem to appear right about then :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take a moment and figure out where you want your book to end. If you know the final destination, the rest will fall into place. Without a destination you will drive around in circles. Once you know where you're going, you can stop at all of the interesting places along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if your character is in a bad situation, then you'll probably want to figure out a way to get her to a better place. Esp if this is YA (?) What does she want to change about her life? Plant obstacles to impede her progress. Is there an antagonist? Hopefully the pieces will fall into place (and I hope you're surviving that weather, too!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daydreaming about my character is various situations helps me. Usually listen to music on headphones and zone out for an hour. Amazing wha the brain will come up with like that.

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with SBJones. Once you have a destination for your story, everything else falls into place.

    Never, repeat, never write a story without a destination, 'cause it will make you tear your hair out.

    (I speak from personal experiene)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A dialogue begins to create my monsters.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Usually I have to wait until I get another idea for a story, and then realize that it goes perfectly with my other idea. So it's about as frankenstory-ish as it can get. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Thank you so, so much for your thoughts and comments, they really do make my day. Consider yourself awesome. Also, I do my best to respond to every comment within 24 hours, so I invite you to come back and continue the conversation :)

To have weekly posts delivered to your inbox, just sign up here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...