From Sarah, With Joy

*Poet * Author * Wanderluster*

Thursday, July 10, 2014

3 Resources That Have Really Helped Me As A Writer

There are so many great resources available in this online age it's almost impossible to keep track, or feel like you're getting it all in. I hate the thought of having my progress impeded because of misinformation or simply not being aware of the proper tools and resources.

Now, I'm still looking for all the great resources out there, and part of the point of this is to get ideas from you guys. But I thought I'd share some of the things that have been the most helpful for me and then get some of your best resources.

1. Reading blogs. This is perhaps an obvious one, but one of the most helpful things for me in terms of learning about this business has been reading blogs. I started this blog in 2009 and the blogs I've read seriously since that time have guided me on this whole writing journey. I couldn't possibly list all the wonderful, amazing blogs that have been such informative and inspirational resources for me, but some of the best include Anne R. Allen's blog, TerribleMinds from Chuck Wendig, Writer Unboxed, Jane Friedman's blog, and Write to Done

2. Writing Excuses. I've mentioned the Writing Excuses podcast on this blog a couple times, but it truly has been one of the most helpful and inspiring resources for me. Reading articles about writing is great, but to actually hear a group of successful writers talk, question, and joke about this life of a writer really sticks with you. And even though each of them are speculative fiction writers, they talk about every aspect of being a writer, from crafting characters to querying agents to balancing marketing and writing. I can't even express how worth a listen it is. I would also highly recommend The Writing Show with Paula B. and Mur Lafferty's I Should Be Writing.

3. Going to Meetups. I suppose "writer meetups" includes conferences, but it doesn't have to be that big or dramatic (i.e. expensive). If you look around, you'll be surprised how many options there are for getting together with fellow writers. Here in Vegas, for example, the RWA has a small monthly meeting at a local library, and there are multiple writing groups that also meet regularly. Check out Meetup.com for your area and see what options you've got. Even when the topic at hand isn't one of particular interest to me personally, I always feel inspired and rejuvenated just hanging out and networking with other local writers.

There you have it. These things have perhaps helped me on my writing journey more than any other resource and I hope they can help you too. What resources have been particularly useful to you?

Sarah Allen

11 comments:

  1. Never checked out Meetup. We do have quite a few of those sites listed at the IWSG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the IWSG list is also an incredible resource! I should have included that one. I definitely recommend Meetup for connecting with fellow writers IRL :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your secret resources. I can always learn more about writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what blogging is for! I'd love to hear about your recommended resources.

      Delete
  3. You've mentioned a few blogs here that I haven't visited. Thanks for the leads. I did find my local writing group through Meetup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! There are so many incredible blogs out there, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

      Delete
  4. Blogs have been amazingly helpful. They're my form of writer groups, and I get inspiration and motivation from other writers and what they're doing, on both the good and bad days along their journeys. My other 2 top resources are reading fiction of all kinds, and then writing resource books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! Do you have any particular writing resource books that you recommend?

      Delete
  5. I'll have to mention Facebook. Things have changed over there but I got my first beta reader by posting in a fiction-writing group. Best thing that ever happened! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes. Like blogging, Facebook can provide a platform for making lots of awesome connections. What was the group, if you don't mind me asking?

      Delete
  6. This is an awesome list. Usually list of resources are like fifty items long and super overwhelming, but this is great. I love Chuck Wendig's blog, and I definitely need to get back in to it. It also looks like I need to get in to Writing Excuses. Thanks for the list! :)

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Thank you so, so much for your thoughts and comments, they really do make my day. Consider yourself awesome. Also, I do my best to respond to every comment within 24 hours, so I invite you to come back and continue the conversation :)

To have weekly posts delivered to your inbox, just sign up here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...