From Sarah, With Joy

*Poet * Author * Wanderluster*

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Physical Life of a Writer

Some jobs come with some major physical risks.



Writing is not one of them. Our major risks are back pain and carpal tunnel. It does not take huge amounts of physical strength and prowess to be a writer (one of the reasons I like it). That does not mean, however, that we should abandon concern for our bodies. I truly believe that our physical health directly effects our mental and emotional health. Just in that sense, it behooves us writers to take care of ourselves physically.

My biggest concern about investing time and energy in taking care of my body is the time it takes, which could be used for other things, like, for example, writing. But it really doesn't actually have to take that much time, and the time it does take is worth the sacrifice. Scheduling in time for your body will help everything else run more smoothly, I think.

There are lots of options here, in terms of exercise. Join a gym, recruit a workout buddy, everything from that up to training for marathons. There is one type of exercise that I'd like to highlight, though, one that I think is perfect for writers: taking walks. Simple and easy. You can put just as much time and energy into it as you want to, and best of all, as you're walking around you see new people and places, experience new things, smell new smells and hear new sounds, all of which are creatively inspiring. If you can find a convenient way to carry a notebook with you, you could even walk to your favorite cafe or park and do some writing.

So, the moral of the story is, buy one of these:

They'll keep you on your toes.


So happy walking and happy writing!
Sarah Allen

12 comments:

  1. So true! Some of my best ideas come when I'm out walking the dog, especially early, when no one else is up yet.

    I love that feeling of being alone in the world. It helps me focus.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for stopping by... Exercise? Isn't that a four letter word? hehe I found my answer in Bodyrock.TV This couple posts all of their High Intensity Interval Training workouts for FREE on their website. They're incredibly cool and motivating and the workouts are short, but effective! I've been able to increase my walking steps from 13k to 16k. :) I hope to do some walking marathons next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sara, now you made me envious... I'd love to have a puppy, but I live in a small apartment and I already have 3 cats, all of them encouraging my couch-potato side...
    But the reflections you made are wise and very timely (actually, taking care of our health is always timely, right?), and walking is something that most of us are capable of. So let's move!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, sweet puppy. And yes, great reminder to get up and do something active in between all that sitting and writing! True, true, true. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, carpal tunnel syndrome and back ache are serious problems!!!


    Computer Vision syndrome may also effect writers very soon!! Take care fellow authors, bloggers and everyone!!

    It was sweet of you to suggest something as cool as this Sarah!! Thanks for posting

    with warm regards
    http://becomingprince.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to exercise!
    Monique
    http://armsofasister.com

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. New GFC follower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much cuteness! I work out lots of plot problems while I'm walking the dogs. I have two already but that puppy is soooo adorable...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comments on my blog and also I really love this post because it is so very true. I think the great part about living in a city where you can do this is that you really can walk to the corner cafe down the street. Where I live I can't exactly do that but I do get in quite a bit of exercise in the gym.

    I also believe in the mind body connection. It is very important that we take care of that and train both aspects.

    Great post!
    Have an awesome day

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw! You just about killed me with the cuteness factor there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute puppy pics. I do like to walk, I need to start doing that more. :)

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. First, thank you for commenting on my review of Outlander.
    I'm following your blog, and I LOVE your optimistic perspective.
    As a totally blind person, I've found that it can be difficult to find and stay with a suitable routine of physical activity. But I managed to have my cake and eat it too. I exercised, and then wrote about it. You can read about my journey from couch potato to half marathon finisher in less than a year at
    Wordstream

    Regards,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Rachel: Thank you so much, you are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Thank you so, so much for your thoughts and comments, they really do make my day. Consider yourself awesome. Also, I do my best to respond to every comment within 24 hours, so I invite you to come back and continue the conversation :)

To have weekly posts delivered to your inbox, just sign up here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...