From Sarah, With Joy

*Poet * Author * Wanderluster*

Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Last Five Books

I think its time to get some book recommendations. I want to know the last five books you've read and what you thought of them. Here's my list:

Tiger Eyes, Judy Blume: Short, wonderful book you can read in one sitting. To be honest, many times YA protagonists seem angsty and dumb to me, but Davey Wexler was a sweetheart, and I didn't mind her teenager-ness. Very good YA read. There's a reason for Judy Blume's wonderful reputation.

Villette, Charlotte Bronte: Oh wow. What to say about this book? It is such an intense emotional journey--you spend the majority of the book being dragged through the mud, being let off just enough to catch your breath so you don't suffocate. You crawl and struggle up a hill, still dragging in the mud. You get to the top and finally have a chance to stand up and dust yourself off. Then you get a knock-out punch in the face. I absolutely loved it. Charlotte Bronte is a genius. Not as mysterious or positive as Jane Eyre, but just as wonderful.

Gilead, Marilynne Robinson: Beautiful, beautiful book. Almost musical in tone. Not the typical structure for a novel. It's written as a letter from a dying father to his young son. Stunningly beautiful. One of those books that really does take your breath away.

A Virtuous Woman, Kaye Gibbons: Another short, sweet book. I will admit that it took me a bit to get into the tone of it, but I ended up very much enjoying it in the end. Most of the book is written in first person, and then there's a switch to third in the very end, and this end part was my favorite. Kaye Gibbons really can get to the emotional gut in a wonderful way.

The Bonesetters Daughter, Amy Tan: I enjoy Amy Tan's stories. She is not the most elegant writer, but her stories are extremely well-crafted and fun to follow. She understands relationships very well, I think. Good read, I would definitely recommend it.

Little Dorrit, Charles Dickens: Ok, so I know this is six. But I just could not leave without recommending this book. Absolutely phenomenal. If you like Dickens, or even if you don't, this is such a sweet book with so much Dickensian awesomeness and humor, and so much heart. Little Dorrit herself is one of the great characters in literature. Seriously, read this book.

So those are the last five (ok, six) books I've read. Right now I'm reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. I'm enjoying it a lot so far, though I'm not too far into it yet and its different from my usual. But I like McMurtry's style.

Anyway, the point of this is to get some recommendations from all you guys. What are the last five books (or so) that you've read? Which ones would you recommend, which ones not so much? Every clump of writing advice I've ever seen includes the thought that to be a writer you MUST be a reader. So this can help me read voraciously for the next little while. So, books?

Sarah Allen

10 comments:

  1. Okay last five...All YA of course

    1. Sister Red - Good if you love werewolves. Interesting take on the Little Red Riding Hood story.

    2. Shipbreaker - Pretty quick read, vivid imagery...Bacigalupi sure can write.

    3. Paranormalcy - This book was fantastic. Definitely read it.

    4. Plain Kate - Interesting premise...a girl sells her shadow.

    5. Captivate - Read this book...but read the first one Need first...I'm doing a post about this tomorrow on my blog.

    Hope those helped!

    demitrialunetta.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting idea. Right now I'm reading an ARC of Dreaming in English, which isn't my normal genre of reading but I'm really liking it. Novels completed:
    1. City of Ember - great book. I recommend it for sure.
    2. Get Ready! (health/fitness book by bob harper) audio version - Not too bad. Definitely helps to like the author if considering his advice.
    3. Wings - Read mid 2010 but I didn't finish many books that year. It was okay. I like her idea of faeries but the love triangle annoyed me.
    4. The Forest of Hands and Teeth - Loved. Never knew I could like a zombie book but I really liked this one and recommend it for others. Hope to read sequel now that it's in paperback.
    5.umm... Can I count Dreaming in English. I'm really loving it and other books from 2010 were ones I started but never got around to finishing.

    I was a slacker as far as reading goes but I'm trying to increase my reading in 2011. 2 books down so far and with many more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First let me say, I really like this posting. I love to share what I've read with others.

    1. Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl -> Wow! This is such a wonderful book, I can't wait to start reading Beautiful Darkness. (Next on my to-read list)

    2. Across the Universe by Beth Revis -> I enjoyed this debut futuristic book set in space. I can't wait for the second book.

    3. Warped by Maurissa Guibord -> This was another great book that was really fun to read.

    4. Matched by Ally Condie -> This one got mixed reviews, it's a bit slower than most of the books I read. I, however, enjoyed it. I would recommend it if you read for the story and not the action.

    5. Enchanted Ivy by Sarah Beth Durst -> This one was action packed and fast paced. I really enjoyed this one.

    I see several books above that are on my to-read shelf. I can't wait to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fun post!
    I read the trilogy of those "Girl with" books - The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, and the other one..can't remember! Not very well-written, but the characters and stories reeled me in!
    Really loved: Water for Elephants and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Fun getting some historical perspective along with great stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. I'm following your blog and have listed it on my website.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, thanks for the nice comment on my page. I love your blog. I'm now a follower. :)

    My writing blog: www.VanessaKEccles.blogspot.com

    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I came to this blog from Nicola Morgans, and must admit that I don't write YA and only occasionally read it and then usually a book that crosses the borders. But I'm always interested in what other writers are reading and have be introduced to some great books/authors in this way.
    I have just finished One Day by David Nicholls, which overall I enjoyed, though it dipped partway, then there was a plot turn that totally surprised me and got my interest again.
    Before that was On Writing by Stephen King which I would thoroughly recommend.
    A collection of short stories Crossing the Bar by Kiwi author Daphne de Jong.
    Rough Music by Patrick Gale.
    In between those my writing magazines, and my WIP!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1) The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake (pretty writing, interesting premise, but slow pacing.)

    2) Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter (excellent)

    3) The Invisible Bridge (excellent)

    4) (YA) Delirium (okay; I liked the ending the best)

    5) Vineland by Pynchon (excellent)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, thank you all so much for the kind words and awesome recommendations :) It seems like many of these are in genres I don't typically read (YA and Fantasy) which is awesome, because reading in every genre is useful and now I have a good starting point for those genres. So thank you all! Very much appreciated.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, My last five books were into military fiction. I was reading the entire "Lost fleet" series.

    Sort of scientific fiction revolving around a hundred year old war between the two star systems and contacts with aliens.

    Liked it like hell. Gonna read it again sometime.

    with warm regards
    arandomarticle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Thank you so, so much for your thoughts and comments, they really do make my day. Consider yourself awesome. Also, I do my best to respond to every comment within 24 hours, so I invite you to come back and continue the conversation :)

To have weekly posts delivered to your inbox, just sign up here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...