From Sarah, With Joy

*Poet * Author * Wanderluster*

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

25 Days of Christmas Stories

For as long as I can remember my family has owned this tattered blue folder with 25 Christmas stories and poems inside. The aim is to read one a day until Christmas, as a sort of countdown. It's one of my favorite Christmas traditions.

Now, I can't give you the folder, but here are some sites that have lists of Christmas stories and poems that you can start with, if you're interested:

The Gift of the Magi
Christmas Story List1
Christmas Story List2

Lately, in thinking of this tradition, I have been thinking how fun it would be to write my own 25 Christmas Story anthology. If you like the idea, feel free to steal it and start working on some Christmas tales this month. Here are three ideas that I've come up with so far that you can use as a starting point for your own ideas:

-The Other Reindeer: write a story from one of the non-Rudolph reindeer's perspective. Give all of the reindeer characteristics and challenges and turn them into a story. Its basically reindeer fanfiction :-)

-A Christmas Tragedy: Create a character and show how their Christmas goes terribly wrong. I.e., a single mother of two loses her job and can't afford to buy presents.

-Cross holiday: Take a leaf from Tim Burton's book and combine a couple holidays. I've always wanted to know what Cupid does for Christmas.

Anyway, there are some new ideas for a new month. Enjoy, and good luck!
Sarah Allen

3 comments:

  1. Sarah, you may not be able to give us the folder right now, but you say it's getting tattered. And chances are great that the family is scattering and only one person at a time can have that original tattered folder.

    Have you thought of transcribing it to preserve it and share with future generations? How easy it is to convert that file into a pdf format ebook! Put on a simple "cover" and perhaps decorate the pages with seasonal clipart and photos, and your treasure will gain a new level of life and meaning.

    Do this, and you'll be able to share it with the world.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thats a great idea! Thank you so much, I will definitely look into that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok- so years later I came across this post. My sister sent me 24 days of stories, scripture, and songs and I uploaded them onto my blog, www.mesocary.com. Here's the link, just in case-
    http://www.mesocary.com/2012/12/02/daily-christmas/#more-2238

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Thank you so, so much for your thoughts and comments, they really do make my day. Consider yourself awesome. Also, I do my best to respond to every comment within 24 hours, so I invite you to come back and continue the conversation :)

To have weekly posts delivered to your inbox, just sign up here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...