From Sarah, With Joy

*Poet * Author * Wanderluster*

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Bill Nighy is Adorable No Matter What You Say

It's been a crazy few days. So when I came home last night and my roommate was lying on the couch doing the I-Finally-Finished-My-Taxes-And-It-Took-All-Day groan (it sounds a lot like Tina from Bob's Burgers) it was like okay yeah, today is cancelled. Let's go have fun.

Of course for us that meant going to see The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. Have I mentioned how much I love old British men? Oh I have? Three hundred times?

I really think this movie and the first should basically just have been called Bill Nighy's Face and Also Maggie Smith. But seriously. Bill Nighy. In both of the Best Exotic movies he does this thing where he gives a speech and the camera sort of zooms close and his mouth is drooped and his eyes are the loneliest, most desperate thing you've ever seen. Any man who can pull off that face, especially if it comes with a British accent...I'm gone.

The moral of my story here is basically that its probably a good thing I'm still single, because I won't really be in the age range of guys I'm attracted to for another, like, decade. And I think I'm okay with that.

Seriously though. I've been teased (good-naturedly) about my taste for older guys since basically I was a sophomore in high school, and when it happens I just like to point out one simple fact. Do we all realize how freaking fantastic my life is going to still be in about 30 years?

Sarah Allen

For more frequent updates, writing tips, and funnies, follow on FacebookTwitterGoogle+
YouTubePinterestTumblrGoodReads, and/or Instagram. Or if you enjoyed this post, sign up for the monthly newsletter and get a free copy of 50 Marketing and Networking Tips for Writers!

13 comments:

  1. I haven't seen the movie.
    I still think of Nighy as Viktor from the Underworld series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't seen that series! I'll have to check it out, and you can watch Best Exotic :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen it yet - and I always think of Love Actually when I see Bill Nighy - who can forget "Love is All Around"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep yep. One of my favorite movies of all time.

      Delete
  3. Very nice post. Very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy Nighly's performances. I especially enjoyed him in Love Actually.

    So...you're just waiting until you're old enough to go after the guys who are the "right" age. Well, I can't argue with you. I certainly wouldn't turn down Sean Connery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best movie ever! I guess I'm not necessarily waiting for anything, I'll be here when the right old soul comes along :)

      And I most definitely would not turn down Connery either...nope.

      Delete
  5. You picked one of my favorite British actors, and like you, that are all older. But unlike you, I am older too. But no matter, I'd probably outlive them. Great post, much enjoyed. Oh, and there are two much younger British actors I wouldn't mind being a cougar for: Eddie Redmayne and Benedict Cumberbatch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word, Eddie Redmayne and Benedict Cumberbatch give me hope for guys closer to my age :) Totally with you on them. I'd also add Tom Hiddleston to that mix...mmmm :)

      Delete
  6. I remember him from the radio play of Lord Of The Rings, in which he played Sam Gamgee - and I suspect that voice is where Sean Astin got his idea of how to play the role. Bill Nighy was a wonderful Sam,by the way, and the radio play should still be around on CD. I haven't actually SEEN him in much, though he was in Dr Who as an art gallery man who told Van Gogh how wonderful his art was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is LITERALLY my favorite moment in all of Dr Who, except maybe when the TARDIS turns into a woman :)

      I'll have to check out that radio play...him as Sam would be awesome!

      Delete
  7. Great movie and just the thing to spend time with!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Thank you so, so much for your thoughts and comments, they really do make my day. Consider yourself awesome. Also, I do my best to respond to every comment within 24 hours, so I invite you to come back and continue the conversation :)

To have weekly posts delivered to your inbox, just sign up here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...